For those of you not at the UC (and for those of you who are), here is a gallery of the items (shirts/etc) being sold at the spatial outlet, so you can nicely ask your co-worker (or boss) to pick you up something! Special thanks to Dave Scheirer for sending them!
Notes: The pillow is $10 ~ Map Book is $24.95 ~ Cycling Shirts $59 ~ Green Hoodie $18
Updated: MapMan shirts are only in youth sizes now… Adult sizes sold out…
*NOTICE: I will work on getting my notes posted, as time allows… Hopefully I’ll have them current later today… Keep your eye on @iageokid for info…*
**FYI: Come join the esri UC backchannel to win some cool prizes via @dtsagile… http://uc.dtsagile.com/register/1Sc***
10:15-11:30 – Floodplain Modeling and Management
Integrating GIS and Climate Change into Flood Risk Mapping
Flood Analysis and Mapping for Prince George, British Columbia
1:30-2:45 – Map Makeovers: How to make your map great, Charlie Frye and Jim Herries
Daniel Ericsson wins making a difference award
Jane Goodall (rootsandshoots.org) – (Video)
Charlie Fitzpatrick – Making a Difference Awards… (Video)
Rwanda video… (Project Rwanda – @greenlivingprjt)
Helping Rwanda Coffee Growers.
I am lucky enough to attend the esri UC this year, thanks to the City of Ames who graciously gave me one of their registrations. I am looking forward to attending the technical sessions and learning more about ArcGIS for Android and ArcGIS 10.1. I entered 2 maps in the Map Gallery (Panels 1185 & 1286), so feel free to look at those. Stay tuned here for more updates from the UC. To see a livestream click HERE (Note: I won’t be streaming live all the time, so you might catch a pre-recording)
Also, I have been on summer vacation since last Saturday, enjoying the sights and sounds here in San Diego. I have been a freak and have taken a TON of photos, and am SLOWLY trying to weed down some photos to post online.
Today was Amazing! I talked with some amazing people! Social connections is the KEY! I talked with Charlie Wittmack (Friend of my Cousinâ€™s). He climbed Mount Everest. I guess he is going to be doing a world triathelon now! Another I talked to is the superintendent of Van Meter Schools, John Carver. They have implemented 1:1 laptop program that is going well. We hope to get one of those going here in Nevada as well. The first two were speakers. I also talked more with Leigh Zeitz. Leigh is an Associate Professor of the Instructional Technology Division â€“ Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction at UNI. I also met up with a High School Junior from Cedar Rapids. Tanner is interested in futuristic technology where humans interact MORE with each other (face-to-face) with technology. Iâ€™m hoping to get Tanner a tour over at ISUâ€™s VRAC and HCI. I think that Tedx and Ignite are GREAT ways to get your social network built up and interact with otherâ€™s who carry the same interest as you do! See my brief notes here. Iâ€™m hoping to rewrite the notes. Iâ€™m also planning to add in notes from twitter tweets.
2:18 pm: mike from raygun starts off tedxdesmoines
2:24 pm: John carver
– teachers are facilitators
– wikis, blogs, ning
– moved from consumer of info to creator of info
– quiet kids are
– direction came from the SCHOOL BOARD!
– challenged to become a GLOBAL school!
– every child is looked on individually
– laptops are like a chorusâ€¦
– 15 current school
– 30 schools next year
– sigourney has business classes that lend $2500 out to students to have start ups!
– 1 of 4 schools on the PLANET! ( 1:1 laptops and virtual reality)
– NOT Turning out teachers with tech stuff
– NEED A NEW EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM W/ TECH
– need to do a tech project to graduate!
– Setting up times next fall for visits
– we are creating a tech ready workforce
– used 1cent sales tax money or plant and something levyâ€¦
– lease so you can get most current tech
– students are in contact w/ engineers at mechdyne, Rockwell collins, universities
3:05 pm: Christian workplace 2020
(from his eldest daughter Emma â€“ 8 born on same day as iPod)
– different looking plants
– flying cars
– different food
– blur monkeys
– different creatures
– digital natives & imigrants are going to be in the workforce (issues)
– by 2020, 76 m boomers will be retiring
– by 2020, 60 m new workers
– 16+ m. Jobs?
– in 2020, 52% of workers will be older than 45
– nearly 13% of all us workers will be self employed
– health care â€“ #1
– finance and it â€“ #2
– science and tech â€“ #1
– digital natives and immigrants
– skype, wave, Twitter
– tech will help
– humans work best face to face
– skill set (set)
5:15 pm: the third space
– we spend so much time trying to find happy people